EMDR Adult, Complex Trauma & Dissociation Specialist Intensive Program
An Integrative Progressive Approach to Developmental Trauma: Working with Complex PTSD and Dissociative Disorders
Presenters: Kathy Steele, MN, CS & Dolores Mosquera, MS
9 hours of online training
37 hours of intensive training
Cost: $1650 USD
Breakfast and lunches are all inlcuded plus training materials and CECs
A total of 46 hours
Next Intensive Training: Phoenix, AZ July 16-20, 2019
This training intensive includes an overview of what makes Complex PTSD and Dissociative Disorders different from PSTD and different from each other. We explore the similarities and differences between ego states and dissociative parts in clinical practice, with treatment implications. Understanding of both the biological and psychological underpinnings of dissociation will lead to practical clinical interventions. Participants will have an opportunity to learn and practice assessment of complex PTSD and dissociative disorders, including both overt and nuanced symptom clusters of dissociation. We will practice formulating a treatment plan for structural dissociation for EMDR therapy. A phase-oriented approach that is standard of care for both Complex PTSD and dissociative disorders will guide our treatment approach. Because relationship is the context of the client’s trauma, we will explore particular relational strategies that support collaboration and curiosity and minimize the intensity of dependency or relational avoidance. Participants will learn and practice specific skills to work with dissociative clients, including those that promote safety, reduce dissociative and other symptoms, and stabilize by reducing inner conflicts among dissociative parts. There will be ample opportunity to practice working with structural dissociation with and without EMDR, including a sequenced, step-wise approach to working first with certain parts to promote stabilization, and ways to include all parts in therapy as much and often as possible. We will practice working with typical types of parts, including avoidant adult parts, child parts, angry parts, and parts that imitate the perpetrator, among others. Resistances to integration are a hallmark of dissociative disorders and participants will learn a progressive approach to identifying the most common resistances and helping the client work through them with compassion and curiosity, using EMDR. Finally, we will explore specific strategies to titrate traumatic memory processing in dissociative clients, and how to include all parts in the work with a window of tolerance. We will use video vignettes to illustrate approaches and participants will have ample time to practice skills and present cases.
Participants will be able to:
- Describe the criteria for Complex PTSD and Dissociative Disorders.
- Identify the mental and physical signs and symptoms of structural dissociation.
- Distinguish whether the inability to remember is due to absorption or to dissociative amnesia.
- Explain the biological and psychological origins of dissociation, with treatment implications.
- Formulate a case of structural dissociation that includes identification of prognostic signs, level of structural dissociation, and potential resistances and relational problems.
- Organize the treatment plan with EMDR Therapy.
- Employ practical skills for the stabilization phase for clients with developmental trauma, and skills to stabilize by using specific strategies to work with dissociative parts.
- Describe a sequenced approach to working with dissociative parts that ensures the client can remain stable and improve integrative functioning across therapy.
- Identify particular relational strategies that support collaboration and curiosity and that minimize overwhelming dependency or avoidance of connection.
- Identify common types of parts and how to work with them therapeutically.
- List common phobias and resistances found in clients with developmental trauma and structural dissociation.
- Employ a progressive approach to working with resistances to progress.
- Identify specific techniques and procedures to apply EMDR safely with complex trauma and dissociative disorders, including titration strategies to work with traumatic memories in clients with dissociative disorders, as well as ways to include dissociative parts in the work.
Ce-Classes.com is approved by:
· The American Psychological Association (APA) Ce-Classes.com is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
· This course is NOT available for NBCC credit
· Florida Certification Board
· The Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling Provider #852 BAP-Expires 3/31/2019
· The California Board of Behavioral Sciences. Ce-Classes.com is approved to provide continuing education by the following professional organizations: ASWB and APA. The California Board of Behavioral Sciences, BBS, recognizes relevant course work/training that has been approved by these nationally recognized certifying bodies to satisfy renewal requirements.
· California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP) Provider Number OS-12-174-1116 Expires 11-2020
· The Texas Board of Social Work Examiners, Continuing Education Provider – 5674 expires 4/30/2019.
· The Texas Board of Professional Counselors, Continuing Education Provider – 1622 expires 2/28/2019
· Massachusetts Authorization Number: 1941
· Ohio Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage and Family Therapist Board – Provider # RCST031201 Expires 5/31/2019
· New York Social Work Board – Ce-Classes.com is recognized by the New York State Education
Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of
continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0120.
· The Florida Board of Nursing (CE Provider #: 50-4896) Expires 10/31/2020 Do not send certificates to the Florida Board of Nursing. You must keep this certificate for 4 years.
· The California Board of Registered Nursing. CEP 15647 Expires 11/30/2020.
EMDRIA CE Hours: Ana M Gomez, MC, LPC is a provider approved by EMDRIA. EC Provider #07005