This workshop will give you tools to work with:
Children that do not acknowledge or do not want to talk about the traumatic or adverse events
Children in the child protective system
Children living in unpredictable and chaotic environments
Children with parents that are not able to provide appropriate support
Children with attachment injuries and unmet attachment needs
Children that use avoidance as a mechanism of adaptation
Children that become dysregulated or dissociative when trauma memories are brough up or activated
Children that despite going through a lenghty preparation phase cannot tolerate the accessing of traumatic material
The World of Stories and Symbols: The EMDR Sandtray Protocol
12 hour virtual workshop divided in 4 modules of 3 hours each- For therapists fully trained in EMDR therapy
Formal training in Sandplay or Sandtray therapy is not required**
This is an innovative training that presents the EMDR- Sandtray protocol developed by Ana Gomez. This training covers in great depth the eight phases of EMDR therapy with children and adolescents and the use of the EMDR Sandtray Protocol. This is especially useful for children that present with dysregulation of the affective system and require greater distance from the traumatic material. In addition, children that use a number of mechanism of adaptation such as avoidance can highly benefit from using this protocol. The EMDR-Sandtray protocol offers various levels of distance from the traumatic material: The actual memory of trauma where the self is present in the story, to the general story/world where the self is absent.
One of the wonderful assets of the EMDR-Sandtray Protocol is its capacity to access implicit and right hemisphere material through the use of stories, symbols and archetypes.
It is not necessary to have the formal training in sandtray therapy as this protocol has its own procedures and principles rooted within the AIP model.
Clinicians will learn:
- Case conceptualization skills to use with children and adolescents with complex clinical presentations that may require greater level of distance from the traumatic material.
- Basic Sandtray therapy procedures such as how to set up the sand tray, miniature collection etc.
- To set the various levels of distance offered by the EMDR-Sandtray protocol.
- How to develop resources during preparation phase using the sand tray including:
- Safe-calm-happy place
- Resource spots
- The little self-healing place
- To work with “parts” and the “little self” using the EMDR-Sandtray protocol.
- To set up the assessment phase honoring the various levels of distance.
- To use interweaves within the EMDR-Sandtray Protocol such as:
- Interweaves directed to meet attachment needs
- Interweaves directed to complete truncated defense responses
- Interweaves directed to reclaim repressed and dissociated affective states
- Interweaves directed to modulate arousal
- Interweaves directed to integrate and work directly with parts of the personality
- To playfully do the installation phase and body scan using the EMDR-Sandtray Protocol.
Videos and lots of pictures of therapeutic work will be presented to give workshop attendees a very tangible and concrete experience.
12 EMDRIA CEUs -Ana M Gomez EMDRIA approved credit provider # 07005