EMDR Child Specialist Level 1 Intensive Program:
Giving back: The Agate Institute is committed to supporting EMDR clinicians working for non-profit organizations in increasing their level of expertise in the use of EMDR therapy with children, adolescents and their parents. As a way to give back, The Agate Institute is provides eight half -scholarships or four full- scholarships to the hosting agency.
8 hours of online training
30 hours of intensive-retreat training
Week- Long Program Description
This intensive-week long training is held in Bennington, VT in an intimate setting where clinicians can learn advanced skills and practice under the direction of Ana Gomez, the HOW TOs of EMDR therapy with children. This training will teach in depth case conceptualization using the AIP (Adaptive Information processing) model, attachment theory, affective neuroscience, interpersonal neurobiology and the polyvagal theory. In addition, preparation strategies and EMDR games that will provide children with a solid foundation to face traumatic material will be thoroughly presented. This level is recommended for clinicians starting to use EMDR with children or clinicians that need the foundational skills. A thorough hands on approach is used, as Ana Gomez will walk participants through the eight phases of EMDR therapy with children with simple and complex clinical presentations. This advanced training workshop will provide step-by-step strategies that will assist clinicians in following EMDR therapy principles and procedures while meeting the developmental needs of children. Clinicians will learn how to make EMDR therapy successful and effective for children. Participants will be able to develop the skills and strategies that are necessary for case conceptualization and the effective implementation of EMDR therapy with children. Theory and practice will be combined within a small group setting (16 participants) to provide a very tangible experience. Program level: Full EMDR training required for the 30 hours intensive training.
This intensive training will provide a comprehensive body of knowledge and advance techniques so clinicians can effectively implement the eight phases of EMDR therapy with children.
(1) Clinicians will be able to develop case conceptualization skills and treatment plans based on the Adaptive Information Processing model (AIP), attachment theory, affective neuroscience, interpersonal neurobiology and the polyvagal theory.
(2) Clinicians will develop advanced skills in treatment plan development and will have advanced supervised practice in global and phase specific case conceptualization.
(3) Clinicians will develop basic and advanced skills in preparing children for EMDR trauma processing. This includes resources for stabilization and affect regulation as well as strategies to identify targets using developmentally appropriate float back and mapping strategies. In addition, playful and fun ways of identifying targets will be covered such as:
• The memory wand
• Memory boxes
• Masks and many others
(4) This training will cover in depth the skill-building model and the use of EMDR games with children to facilitate the use of the eight phases of EMDR therapy. Emphasis will be placed on the importance of making children acquainted with the different components of EMDR therapy prior to moving into the assessment and desensitization phases. Strategies to helping children develop cognitive, emotional and somatic literacy so they can access the cognitive, affective, and somatosensory aspects of the trauma memories will be demonstrated.
• Games to assist children in developing cognitive literacy and awareness.
• Games to assist children in developing somatic and sensorimotor literacy and awareness.
• Games to assist children in developing emotional literacy and awareness.
(5) Clinicians will be able to use concrete and playful strategies to engage children during the assessment phase. In addition, clinicians will learn advanced strategies to set up processing sessions to optimize the child's integrative capacities. These strategies are especially helpful when working with children with sensitized sympathetic nervous systems and children with sensitized dorsal vagal systems.
(6) Participants will also learn how and when to use interweaves that are more suitable for children.
• Interweaves that address the plateau of responsibility.
• Interweaves that address the plateau of safety.
• Interweaves that address the plateau of power and control.
• Somatic, cognitive and affective interweaves.
• Educational interweaves
(7) This intensive training will cover playful strategies that can be used during the installation, body scan and reevaluation phases of EMDR therapy. In addition, how to help children make new choices and incorporate appropriate behaviors in the future through the use of the future template protocol will be addressed.
(8) Clinicians will have the opportunity to practice in small groups and receive individualized feedback.
Wednesday September 7 through Saturday September 10
8:30 am to 12:00 pm
12 pm to 1 pm- Lunch provided
1:00 pm to 5:00 pm
Module 1: Recordings will be available after registration (3 hours)
Module 2: Recordings will be available after registration (3 hours)
Module 3: August 12 from 9 am AZ time to 11 am (live presentation)
CE Credits Information- 38 CEUs
You can watch the archives on your own time. If you are unable to attend the "live" presentation, take a test and get the CE Credits. General CEC provided by the EMDR Institute.
38 EMDRIA CEUs -Ana M Gomez EMDRIA approved credit provider # 07005
EMDR Basic Training Level 1 & 2
EMDR-Sandtray Specialist- Next intensive retreat: August 15-19, 2016
• 8 hours of online training
• 40 hours of intensive-retreat training
• 8 hours of consultation (4 hours of consultation count towards EMDRIA certification)
• Required readings will be sent in your registration confirmation email
Cost $ 2415 USD: Includes training materials, 8 hours of online training, 40 hours of intensive training, 8 hours of consultation and all breakfasts & lunches)
Next intensive retreat:
Poco Diablo Resort- Sedona, AZ
1. As an accredited EMDR-Sandtray Specialist you will receive 8 hours of online training where you will first be guided in creating your own sandtray miniature collection. You will learn about Sandplay and Sandtray therapy history as well as the difference between the EMDR-Sandtray protocol and other therapies using sand tray. In addition, clinicians will learn basic principles of ego state theory, Internal Family Systems and structural dissociation theory.
2. Following these 8 hours, you will attend an intensive-week long training (40 hours) in beautiful Sedona, AZ in an intimate setting where you can practice and receive feedback directly from Ana Gomez the developer of the EMDR-Sandtray Protocol.
3. This training covers in great depth the eight phases of EMDR therapy with children and adolescents and the use of the EMDR-Sandtray Protocol. This is especially useful for children that present with dysregulation of the affective system and require greater distance from the traumatic material. In addition, children that use a number of mechanisms of adaptation and present with trauma related phobias can highly benefit from using this protocol.
4. The EMDR-Sandtray protocol offers various levels of distance from the traumatic material: The actual memory of trauma where the self is present in the story, to the general story/world where the self is absent. One of the wonderful assets of the EMDR-Sandtray Protocol is its capacity to access implicit and right hemisphere material through the use of stories, symbols and archetypes.
5. To use interweaves within the EMDR-Sandtray Protocol using the Interweave Systems Model (ISM) such as:
• Interweaves directed to meet attachment needs
• Interweaves directed to complete truncated defense responses
• Interweaves directed to reclaim repressed and dissociated affective states
• Interweaves directed to modulate arousal
• Interweaves directed to integrate and work directly with parts of the personality
6. How to work with the body while staying connected to the sand tray and the story
7. Learn how to work with preverbal trauma
8. It is not necessary to have the formal training in sandtray therapy as this protocol has its own procedures and principles rooted in the AIP model.
9. A thorough hands on approach is used, as Ana Gomez will provide individualized support and guidance as you practice in small groups the use of the EMDR-Sandtray Protocol.
10. In addition, Ana Gomez or one of the AGATE Institute consultants will provide 8 hours of individual and group consultation after the training. Upon completion of the 8 hours, you will receive a certificate accrediting you as an EMDR-Sandtray Specialist given by the AGATE Institute.
11. Once you are accredited as an EMDR-Sandtray Protocol Specialist, you will be in our website as a referral source.
Monday through Friday
8:30 am to 12:00 pm
12 pm to 1 pm- Lunch included
1:00 pm to 5:30 pm
Online Training Dates
Module 1: (2 hours- 9 am to 11 am AZ time)
Module 2: (3 hours- 9 am to 12 pm AZ time)
Module 3: (3 Hours- 9 am to 12 pm AZ time)
You may attend the modules live or watch the recordings on your own time before the intensive retreat.
Online "live" presentation, 2016 from 9 am to 11 am Arizona time. You can watch the archives on your own time. No CECs provided for the online portion.
40 EMDRIA CEUs -Ana M Gomez EMDRIA approved credit provider # 07005