Ana M Gomez, MC, LPC born in Colombia (South America) is a psychotherapist in private practice, author of several books, chapters and articles, and a lecturer internationally known for her innovative work with children and adolescents.
Ana Gomez is an EMDRIA approved consultant; an EMDRIA advanced training provider, an EMDR Institute, EMDR-IBA and EMDR-HAP trainer.
Furthermore, Ana has received training in Sensorimotor Psychotherapy, Play Therapy, Sandtray Therapy, Theraplay, Interpersonal Neurobiology (IPNB), and the use of the Adult Attachment Interview (AAI). She has worked with children, adolescents, adults and families affected by trauma and adversity for almost 20 years.
Ana has been a guest lecturer for plenary sessions and pre-conference workshops on several occasions. She has been a guest speaker at the 2008 (Phoenix) and 2014 (Denver) EMDRIA conferences and the pre-conference workshop and plenary presentation at the EMDRIBA conference in Costa Rica. She has been a keynote speaker at the 2008 EMDR Brazil conference, the Touchstone Annual Childhood Trauma Conference in 2013 and 2014 and the SWS Annual Conference in 2014.
Ana has developed seven Advanced Workshops with over 80 hours of content, and teaching materials. These workshops have been presented in person and virtually to large audiences in over 20 countries and 100 cities on four continents. Furthermore, Ana developed the following protocols:
- The EMDR-Sandtray protocol
- An attachment-informed EMDR program for healing intergenerational wounding and reparing the parent-child attachment bond
- The safe-calm place protocol and RDI using olfactory stimulation.
- A 90-hour graduate program in traumatology and EMDR therapy that she has taught at the "Universidad del Rosario" in Bogota- Colombia.
She is the author of ”Dark, Bad Day...Go Away", a book for children about trauma and EMDR which has been translated into four languages. Ana also developed and created “The Thoughts Kit for Kids” which is part of a series of games and tools designed to make EMDR treatment developmentally appropriate for children. Ana Co-authored with Dr. Francine Shapiro, an article on the use of EMDR therapy with children, published in 2013 in Canada. Her latest book published in the US is titled "EMDR Therapy and Adjunct Approaches with Children: Complex Trauma, Attachment and Dissociation", this book has already been translated and published in Portuguese and will be released this year in Spanish.
- Ana was the recipient of the Distinguished Service Award from the Arizona Play Therapy Association in 2011.
- In 2012, Ana received the Sierra Tucson "Hope Award" given to a professional that substantially contributed to education in the field of mental health.
In addition to helping children and adolescents, Ana also specializes in working with adults dealing with issues of depression, anxiety, trauma, abuse, complex PTSD, dissociation and grief issues.
On a personal level, Ana enjoys nature and loves to dance to all kinds of music, especially salsa. She also loves to spend time with her husband, her family and friends, and her beloved pets. Ana treasures moments of silence, play and laughter as well as the connection with others.
- Gomez, A. M. (2013). EMDR and Adjunct Approaches with Children: Complex Trauma, Attachment and Dissociation. New York, NY: Springer Publishing.
- Gomez, A. M., & Shapiro, F. (2013). EMDR Therapy with Children: Journey Into Wholeness. Child and Family Professional, 15 (3), 20-30.
- Gomez, A. M. (2012). Healing the Caregiver System: Working with Parents within a Comprehensive EMDR Treatment. Journal of EMDR practice and Research, 6(30, 136-144. doi: 10.1891/19184.108.40.206.
- Gomez, A. M. (2009). The Thought Kit for Kids. Phoenix, AZ. Author.
- Gomez, A. M(. 2009). Using Olfactory Stimulation with Children to Cue Resource Development and Installation (RDI). In Luber, M. (Ed.), Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR): Scripted Protocol Special Populations. New York: Springer.
- Gomez, A. M(. 2009). Using Olfactory Stimulation with Children to Cue the Safe or Happy Place. In Luber, M. (Ed.), Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR): Scripted Protocols Special Populations. New York: Springer.
- Gomez, A. M.(2007). Dark, Bad…Day Go Away: A Book for Children About Trauma and EMDR. Phoenix, AZ.